Monday, February 12, 2007

Waldo’s









One of the fellow members of the “B” Team on the annual guys’ ski trip quickly earned the nickname Waldo as a result of his propensity for getting lost, leading to the oft repeated question “where’s Waldo?” Over the years his ability to stay with the group has steadily improved however, we are an unforgiving group and……..the nickname has stuck….bigtime! In fact, a couple of years ago there were a few new guys on the trip. I am sure that they went home never knowing that Waldo’s real name is Bob. Because Bob (Waldo) is a good friend, there is a warm spot in my heart for the name “Waldo”.

The experiences on this RV trip have also created a warm spot in both Brenda and my hearts for real southern BBQ. We have sampled this regional delicacy on many occasions, always looking for the definitive example of the “craft”. Until today, the “hands down” winner by a long margin, was “Jack’s BBQ” on Broadway, in downtown Nashville. And, since we are no longer really in the “south”, I assumed that real southern BBQ was but a fond and distant memory.

Imagine my surprise when, driving down a Mesa, Arizona street, I saw a big neon sign for “Waldo’s BBQ”. Be still my heart!!! I HAD to try it. Greeted outside the front door with a “Sorry But We Are Open” sign, I knew this place was a winner. Upon entering, another large sign exclaimed, "Waldo’s Proudly Announces that We Have Never Been Shut Down By The Health Department”. Could it get any better? The front of the menu advised, “If you can find a better BBQ – Eat there”. My kind of place (the Zagat rating was sadly missing)

Waldo’s is now the undisputed #1 Fraser RV Trip BBQ Restaurant of the Year. (Look out Zagat – this might catch on!). The food was great! It’s homey atmosphere was enhanced with humorous signs all over the walls: (I want to die in my sleep like Grandpa – not yelling and screaming like everyone else in his car). A fun place and wonderful BBQ – the best yet!!! AND……….Bobby………when we get back to Brockville……..I have a present for you!!!

No comments: