Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Rolling Stones were right!!!!

Brenda and "JB", our golf instructor after a mid-day (hot) lesson



“You don’t always get what you waaaaant”. The Stones got it right!! Thinking my recent golf lessons would somehow improve my game, I played in a “scramble” at our local par 3 golf course, wanting nothing more than NOT to be the game’s comic relief. It was not to be!! Now… when I go to the driving range, I can put 3 shots out of 4 within 20 feet of a pin 100 to 120 yards out so, do you think I could hit the GD greens on these little par 3’s? Noooooooooooo. In fact, my short little drives were so wild, my team mates were yelling “Fore” BEFORE I swung (in the interest of safety of course). The group on the hole in front of us were always looking over their shoulders to see where I was and, took a particular interest in my drives!!! Could they ever dance!!

There was, however, SOME good news. I out-putted virtually everyone on our team and made three long birdie puts. Now if I could just figure out some other way to get that damn ball down to the greens!!! In spite of my “best” efforts, our team finished “in the money” and took third place. The golf lessons continue with a VERY understanding pro. Tuesday is “Scramble” day. I wonder if that term was coined in recognition of MY golfing ability????

One of the tiny facts that the Chamber of Commerce omits from its glossy brochures is that The Coachella Valley (Palm Springs) is one of the windiest places on earth, as evidenced by about 10,000 wind generators located just west of here. It can be bright, sunny and 85°F, yet the wind can be howling. When buying homes, the locals select their sites based upon wind exposure and/or protection. Not a phenomenon with which we Canucks are familiar. Maybe it’s the wind affecting my golf?????????

No comments: